Wrap around specialist neurological rehabilitation at home
What are virtual rehabilitation beds?
Virtual Rehabilitation Beds (VRBs) offer wrap around specialist neurological rehabilitation within an individual’s own home or place of residence.
This unique framework offers a high quality alternative to a hospital or residential care bed, providing a new alternative to commissioners supporting clients with complex health needs.
Virtual rehabilitation beds are:
- COST EFFECTIVE – costing significantly less per day when compared to a regional rehabilitation unit bed or acute medical bed*
- HIGH QUALITY – specialist care and expert therapy overseen by a Consultant in Rehabilitation, reduces the risk of secondary complications and minimises the need for costly, unplanned secondary care input
- CLIENT-CENTRED – a bespoke team built around each individual, to optimise independence and reduce care costs wherever there is potential for change
- EFFICIENT – the team work in a coordinated and seamless way to guarantee information exchange and reduce repetition of clinical decision-making
- EFFECTIVE – added value is transparent with routine use of GAS goals, outcome measures and user experience measures
- FLEXIBLE – suitable for complex clients who are inappropriately waiting in acute medical beds, stepping down from regional rehab or spinal units, or needing a more effective alternative to lifelong residential care.
Clients who are suitable for a Virtual Rehabilitation Bed
Clients who have Category A* medical needs including people:
- requiring ventilation
- requiring tracheostomy care including suctioning
- who can experience a rapid change in their medical status e.g. autonomic dysreflexia, seizures, recurrent chest or urinary infections
- needing assistance of two for all manual handling
- needing specific bladder and bowel management strategies
- who have significant cognitive or behavioural impairment
VRBs can also support clients who have category B* and C* medical needs:
- with other medical or complex co morbidities
- who require a refresh or intensive burst of support and rehabilitation
- who need a comprehensive and accurate review of their level of need
- who are stepping down from forensic, mental health or secure environments
- who have a transient change in neurological status e.g. relapse or critical illness
- with long term and / or progressive neurological diseases
- who are transitioning to a palliative phase of care towards end of life
How do the Virtual Rehabilitation Beds work:
All VRBs services provided are built around the clients. We operate a Single Point of Access to the beds and a One-stop Assessment to identify need and build a bespoke combination of team members and intensity of support.
All our VRBs have three essential components:
- specialist trained live in / live out care team plus
- interdisciplinary neurological therapy and rehabilitation overseen by a
- Consultant in Neurological Rehabilitation or Neuro Psychiatry
Meet the virtual rehabilitation team
Our specialist trained care teams
The care team are clinically supported by a Regional Care Manager and have access to a highly skilled national team of expert nurses across the Active Assistance Group, a CQC registered care provider who were rated as GOOD across all aspects of care. See CQC report.
Care offered includes:
- 2:1 24 hour live in care
- 1:1 24 hour live in care
- 2:1 24 hour live out care
- 1:1 24 hour live out care
- And care in hourly increments as per the client’s prevailing needs
Our care teams are recruited for each individual client who then receive specialist training.
Bespoke neurological management training will be designed around the needs of the client and delivered in house by the inter-professional therapy team.
Our specialist interprofessional neurological therapy team
Interprofessional therapy will be provided by award winning neurological rehabilitation team Neural Pathways (UK) Ltd.
The therapy team is built around the client’s needs, with a combination of
- Specialist neurological physiotherapy
- Specialist neurological occupational therapy
- Specialist neurological speech and language therapy
- Specialist neurological clinical psychology
- Specialist neurological dietetics
The team are skilled in the latest evidence based rehabilitation techniques and outcome measures and the Goal Attainment scale are embed within their documentation.
Our Consultants in Neurological Rehabilitation and Neuropsychiatry
All of our medical experts are leading Neurological Rehabilitation Consultants in their fields. Our Consultant offer a unique and client-centred approach to their interventions and can offer
- Home visits
- Weekly ‘virtual ward rounds’
- A weekday ‘advice’ line
- Weekly or monthly face to face reviews
- ‘As and when’ refresh review